Key Focus Areas
Key Focus Area One: Entrenching Constitutionalism
1. Facilitate citizens to embody national values and the spirit of the Constitution in the exercise of their sovereign power.
2. Facilitate CSOs and citizens to participate in strengthening public institutions and holding public officials to account.
3. To safeguard and strengthen devolution for improved service delivery and transformation of lives.
• Innovative and responsive civic education delivered through multi-media.
• Institutionalisation of civic education and public participation at the county level.
• Advocacy initiatives on constitutionalism that promote citizen actions, access to justice and environmental governance.
• Participatory governance initiatives at county and national level that also focus on social accountability, gender and environmental governance and facilitate knowledge and skills transfer between national and county-based CSOs.
• Increased citizen and CSOs participation, engagement and oversight in governance at the national and county level resulting in:
– A 50 per cent increase in the number of people who rate their civic awareness as above average by 2020.
– Increase to at least 60 per cent the proportion of local communities participating in county and national government processes by 2020.
• Enabling citizens to monitor the performace of county governments and to hold them to account through the use of social accountability tools for improved service
delivery resulting in:
– A 25 per cent increase in the number of citizens who perceive that delivery of services by their county governments has improved.
Key Focus Area Two: Promoting Free and Fair Elections
- To enhance participation of citizens in the electoral processes.
- To promote transparency and confidence in the management of elections.
- To empower citizens to elect leaders who embody the spirit and the values of the Constitution.
- Multi-media civic and voter education on electoral process.
- Support to CSOs participation in electoral reform processes.
- Support to CSOs and State Actors’ engagement on emerging electoral management issues.
- Support to social vetting and public debates for political aspirants.
- Research and documentation of lessons from general elections.
Key Focus Area Three: Addressing the historical political marginalisation of women, youth, persons with disabilities, marginalised and minority groups
- To increase and enhance representation of historically marginalised groups and communities in governance processes.
- Support to CSOs and networks to facilitate increased participation of marginalised groups and communities through policy advocacy and public interest litigation and other measures.
- Support Capacity building of marginalised groups and communities to actively participate in governance processes.
- Supporting initiatives that counter socio/cultural/religious and other structural barriers to participation of marginalised groups.
Key Focus Area Four: Internal Excellence
8. To enhance Uraia’s responsiveness to the civic needs of Kenyans.
• Development of a Civic Education Resource and Training Centre.
• Undertaking a civic competence index.
• Organisational sustainability.
• Scenario planning.
– A nationally accepted civic competence index established by 2020.
– A Civic Education Resource and Training Centre established by 2020.
– Kenya country governance scenarios for 2020-2030 published by 2018.
– One stream of incoming generating initiatives established by 2020.