In the quest to Promote women leadership in good Governance, Uraia Trust Gender in Partnership with TEAM organized for a meeting at West Mugirango Subcounty in Nyamira Township Ward. The meeting attracted a number of stakeholders from the ward including the area Chief and the clergy.
Uraia’s Gender Project Manager Mrs Mabel Isolio took the participants through the organizations’ mandate and their roles in civic and voter education. Thereafter,TEAM elaborated to the participants about the project “Promoting women leadership in good Governance” and on the Project objectives which is to promote Democratic Governance and Human Rights that guarantees increased representation of women in elective political leadership in Nyanza & Western regions of Kenya.
First, the participants were taken through their civic role during and after the elections. A situational analysis of the sub county for the past four years was conducted and the following highlights were made.
- Improved health facilities e.g. Kebirigo, Monyoncho and Ekerenyo health centres.
- Construction and employment of ECD assistants.
- Provision of feeding program within the ECD centres in the county.
- Provision of County bursaries to the needy children.
- There is improved security within the county as the floodlights have been installed in major market centres and slum areas.
- Improved road network;Most roads within the communities have now been opened up.
- Construction of bodaboda sheds and stalls in several markets including Kebirigo and Magwagwa.
What is at stake to be done
- Incomplete public water system.
- Lack of public toilets at the constructed markets.
- Nothing on agriculture; the only factory in the region is not being supported by both the National and county governments and farmers are really suffering .
- Lack of employment especially for the youths.
- Poor sewerage and garbage disposal around Kebirigo and Nyamira area.
The above highlights indicate how citizens hold the County Government into account.
The meeting got into a plenary that discussed the roles in supporting women aspirants within the county to win the primaries and later the elections in August. The participants agreed to support the women aspirants and an an organization we agreed to ensure that more women are sensitized before the next party primaries and also before the election through the organized groups.